20091013

Day Old Words

I've owed you some words for some time now. Sorry. What more can I say?

To the point, I want to know what your favorite words are...I've asked around on Twitter and have gotten a very small, but good group of word responses. So please comment here, there, or anywhere with your words.

If you are wondering why I want to know, well, I have two answers. First, I just like words. Always have; in fact I like words so much that I could commonly be found reading the dictionary. More appealing to me is the evolution of words (also known as etymology, see, a new word for you).

The second reason is that I believe we all have words we like to use, or that we like the sound of, or even like knowing simply because it is uncommon. I'm doing a sort of compare/contrast study of words because I theorize that there is a pattern to word usage based on our fondness of words. Several patterns actually. The only downside to my little study is that the words have to be English. I don't want to tell you the patterns because it may skew your word selection, but I'd really appreciate any input you have!

So thanks in advance comrades!

Now, onto the urban slang G's:
pimp:
1. To make something look more flashy or showy. Usually applied to cars and homes.

2. To advertise (generally in an enthusiastic sense) or to call attention in order to bring acclaim to something; to promote.

pimp tight: Ridiculously ill, the sweetest thing ever. [ha!]
backyard: The posterior portion of the human body; substitutes for "bum", "butt", or "ass".
hangry: When lack of food causes you to become angry, frustrated, or both. An amalgam of "hungry" and "angry" invented to describe that feeling you get when you are at a restaurant and have been waiting for more than an hour to get the meal you ordered. [amalgam, how'd you like that one?]

No comments: