20130829

Sea Monsters

If ever I have a day that I find difficult to survive [most days lately] or when I want to yell and scream about the absurdity of a situation, I close my eyes and say to myself, "sea monsters, that's bullshit".  (I sometimes follow up with banging my head on the desk, literally or figuratively, but that's not part of this story).

"Sea monsters" has a back story that I'll cherish forever.  At the time of the sea monster story, my daughter was 2 1/2 years old.  She was watching a cartoon she enjoys called Team Umizoomi.  It's a smart preschool+ cartoon that focuses on mathematics, essentially.  How fitting a show for my daughter who already has a keen sense for the logic of things and uses her measuring tape to measure everything.  In a particular episode the characters are running across what appears to be a bridge.  It turns out though, that the bridge is a sea monster's back!  My daughter, with a tone certainty and seriousness, says, "A sea monster?  That's bullshit"!

In so many ways I can only agree.  Sea monsters are absurd.  Bridges don't become sea monsters.  It IS bullshit.  Nice use of the term bullshit by the way kiddo, let's refocus on a different word...

So, now, when I need a moment to put things into perspective, I just remember, sea monsters, that's bullshit.

This week is one giant sea monster.


Nick Jr, Team Umizoomi, Sunshine Fairy episode

No comments: